Thursday, September 18, 2008

Journals and Diarys

Keep a journal. Call it a diary or whatever you want, but keep one.

I just rad an article in Yahoo about the oldest man in the world. This is part of what it said:

Tanabe, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living male last year, eats mostly vegetables and believes the key to longevity is not drinking alcohol.

The former civil servant lives with his son, drinks milk every day and has no major illnesses, although he now writes in his diary only once or twice a month. He used to write on a daily basis.


Tanabe credits his long life to not drinking alcohol. But nowhere does he or the article credit that writing in his diary every day.

Let me tell you what a diary or a journal is. It is a a story of your life. If you keep writing in your journal/diary, you keep your story going. You don't want it to end. At least your life is interesting to YOU! And you are the most important person to please.

Even Rick Warren, minister and author of THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE, says to keep a journal. Why? So that you learn lifes' lessons, God's lessons, quicker. You don't have to keep relearning things over and over and over. Who wants to do that?

When I keep a journal, it has been an invaluable source of learning about my life. You record not only the things that have happened, but your feelings as well. Try it.

When I don't keep a journal, when I get out of the habit, and it is a habit, my life simply isn't as rich. And that is not depressed.

If you are depressed,or going through a new stress, for sure start a journal. When I am depressed, or starting a new stress, keeping a journal gives me a feeling of power. At absolute worst, I become an observer of my life. I become rather interested in finding out how it turns out.

I have said this a bunch of times before, if you are depressed, especially if you are going through grief, get a dog and start a journal. It is that simple. Get a therapist too, get massages, get spiritual counseling, but allow it all to work quicker for you by having a dog that accepts you unconditionally, and a journal that allows you to be an active observer of your life.

Good Luck!

No comments: