Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dehydration and Coconut Water

Dehydrated? Drink Coconut Water.

If it is summer in the south and you are sweating, drink coconut water. If you have been vomiting, drink coconut water. If you have had diahrrea, drink coconut water. Coconut water is the best isotonic (electrolyte) drink there is. It's better than Pedialyte, it's better than popping all the potassium and magnesium you can, it's better than EmergenC, It's better than eating all the bananas, potatoes and avocados you can. Don't ask me why, all I know is it is better.

I found this out working at the health food store. Smart mothers would come in for the stuff when their kids had become dehydrated from the normal diahrrea and vomiting assoicated with the flu, etc. One time I had been sick, and still wasn't 'popping'. I could cope but I didn't feel like I was really there--I was forcing myself to do everything. I had taken EmergenC, I had taken my potassium and magnesium, I had swallowed lots and lots of water. Then, Jenn, one of our managers got a can of coconut water and had me drink it. Viola! Within an hour, I popped! I felt like the old me. That experience taught me to always get coconut water if I, or anyone I know, is dehydrated from being sick.

About three days ago, I got dehydrated from being out in the Texas heat. I drank about a gallon and a half of water that day. I ate about two bananas. I took extra potassium and magnesium. I still felt horrible after 24 hours. Just like I described above, I was able to do things, but forcing it. And just plain old tired.

Somewhere in the far reaches of my dehydrated brain came the message, "coconut water, coconut water." As soon as the health food store opened, I bought a couple of containers, and drank them. Within about 15 minutes, I felt better. Within about a half an hour, I felt more like my old self. I had my energy pretty much back. And within an hour, I had pretty much forgotten how truly bad I had felt over the last 48hours.

You can find coconut water at all your health food stores, and some specialty or health areas of grocery stores. You can also order it online from Amazon and a variety of other places.

Just remember, if you are dehydrated, drink coconut water.

No comments: