Saturday, June 7, 2008

Experienced Doctors

Inspiration of the Day:

Mark 11:24 For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it and it will be yours.

Ask for the best doctors you can find, those with the knowledge and experience you need for your particular illness. Even if you aren't a believer in God, ask anyway... ask yourself to find them, and believe that they are out there and that you will find them. If I did, you will.

This blog is all about experience. In a year, after blogging almost everyday, I will have more experience and should be a better writer. You should enjoy what I am writing more than you are now. That is the advantage of experience in a field.

Dr. Gilbert Manso http://www.drmanso.com/, has over a quarter of a century of experience in combining western with eastern and other medical disciplines. Know Whole Foods? He set up their supplement section when they were first starting out. He has been on staff of University of Texas Medical Branch in Houston for over thirty years. One of his former student doctors told me, student doctors fight to have an internship with him, not for learning natural medicine, but because he is such an excellent diagnostician. I like all that experience, don't you?

Now all that being said, it was an fresh out-of-school chiropractor who saved my life. Dr. Dorene Witter http://www.thewittercenter.com/, had been the first chiropractor to do an externship with Dr. Manso. She had gone out of her way to learn not only from him, but another alternative MD. As well, she had done extensive reading on her own. But, significant for my health, something you might not think of as very important at all, she had spent six years as a paramedic.

A paramedic? Isn't that for emergencies? Yes. And what did she have to know for emergencies? EVERY pharmaceutical, EVERY chronic illness, EVERY lethal disease. What did that mean for me, when I first sat down in her office, and there she was sitting across from me, going over all my medical history? It meant that I did not, once, have to tell her what one of my illnesses was (too many to count, but five biggies were congestive heart failure, chronic fatigue/fibromylagia, epileptic type petit mal seizures after brain surgery, lifelong recurrent urinary tract infections, and severe allergic reactions to numerous medicines, substances and foods. It meant that I did not once have to tell her what one of my pharmaceuticals was (11 routinely, every day, 13 if I had an infection of any sort, and almost every month, I was).

I doubt you have any idea how nice that was. Dr. Witter was the only doctor that I ever went to who I didn't have to explain not even ONE of these to. No matter what doctor I went to, if the illness wasn't in their specialty, they would say, "What is that?" If they were very blunt, and felt comfortable with me, they would say, "What the hell is that?". And I would tell them.

Not that I fault them for not knowing. I don't even fault my general practitioner for not knowing all my illnesses and pharmaceuticals. How can they? They get thrown so many different types of illnesses a day, how can they remember them all?

But then again, Dr. Witter did, didn't she?

It's not like she was bluffing with each one. I had one medical doctor, at a doc-in-the-box, bluff to me "Idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy? (same thing as congestive heart failure) Oh, you know that isn't so bad, you will just take a little pill and be fine." Where as I, with the disease, knew that the pill was actually still in it's experimental stages. I knew that people on my website with the illness, were dying every week. I knew that, even with the pill, the one he talked about me taking in the future, the one I was taking right then and it was on my chart, even with that pill, my breathing was horrible. I knew that the statistics had not changed in any medical book I had read--from the date of diagnosis to the date of death was still one to five years. I knew that my cardiologist refused to look me in the eye when we discussed my future, especially when we discussed the possibility of a heart transplant. So I knew a lot that he, this well paid, highly respected medical doctor did not know. The dude was bluffing his intelligence. "Are you sure?" I asked him. "Of course, he said." I didn't waste any more time, I was there for a script for an infection. I got the script and got out.

Dr. Witter, on the other hand, did not bluff. As she went over each pharmaceutical and illness with me, she not only asked intelligent questions, she offered compassion. She not only knew each drugs side effect, but the possible side effects of the interactions of each together. Wow!

Experience. Dr. Witter had the experience I needed.

And you will find the experience you need in your doctors too. If you keep looking. Ask God, ask yourself, for doctors with the experience you need.

JOKE OF THE DAY

Everything I like is either immoral, illegal or too fattening.

Recipe of the day:

6 Chicken breasts, boned, skinless
Bottle Paul Newman's Italian dressing

Before you leave for work, place chicken breasts in pan. Dump Dressing on top of breasts, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Come home and preset oven to 350 degrees while you go change clothes, etc. Take plastic wrap off pan. Turn breasts. Cover with aluminum foil. Vent with a couple of fork pokes. Bake for 20-25 minutes. ENJOY!

No comments: