Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Magnesium and Heart Disease


I totally stole this from Linus Pauling Institute website: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/magnesium


Ion transport across cell membranes
Magnesium is required for the active transport of
ions like potassium and calcium across cell membranes. Through its role in ion transport systems, magnesium affects the conduction of nerve impulses, muscle contraction, and normal heart rhythm (3).


Dr. Manso told me, as a patient, to build up the amount I was taking until I got a little bit of loose bowels, then cut back to the previous dose. That would be the amount of magnesium my body needs. Simple, isn't it? The right combination of magnesium, potassium, and water consumed in a day (at least half my body weight...I weigh a lot, LOL, so it's about a gallon) totally control my high blood pressure that I once had. Duh. I didn't have high blood pressure as much as I had a magnesium, potassium and water deficiency.


Are you eating and drinking a lot of calcium? You may, or may not, have a magnesium deficiency. The person to ask would be your holistic health care practitioner. Those general lab tests run every year on your body to check for minerals, will show you the MINIMUM average...that what is best for your own particular body. Just try introducing a good brand of magnesium from the health food store or your health care provider, just until you get loose stools. Cut back. Stay there a bit, say a few weeks, and see what changes there are to your life.


I, surprisingly, found that I could cut back and then cut out my anti-convulsant medication! Don't you dare do anything like this without your doctors' consultation, silly! I certainly didn't! But the effect was and still is the same... on the right amount of magnesium, the tingling in my extremities disappears, period. Isn't that amazing?


Guess what doctors put in those IV bags for bedridden pregnant women to prevent high blood pressure and potential seizures? You guessed it! magnesium! So, yes, it is very safe! In fact, this is exactly how I figured out that magnesium might work for me. I was visiting a friend in a hospital when in came a nurse with an IV bag with magnesium in it. Well, shoot, I thought, if it is good enough for a pregnant woman, it should be good enough for me. Called my neurologist..did it...it was. And yes, I had to play around with it a little from the dose to control my blood pressure, but not much. If I don't take it for about 32-48 hours, I start to feel the tingling. (all cause I forgot, like on a trip or something)


What are the negative side effects to too much magnesium? Diarrhea. Lower blood pressure. If you want to know more, one of the best sources I have found for any mineral, supplement, herb, pharmaceutical side effect is http://www.peoplesrx.com/ Click on the wellness link, and keep clicking!

No comments: