Monday, July 7, 2008

ADD/ADHD Dr. Janice Poole and son William



At the time of this interview for my book, William was 20. From a previous blog, you might remember that Dr. Janice Poole is person who introduced me to Dr. Amens' book, HEALING ADD.

This is a quote from her interview: "The huge precipice for intervention with William, that struck me over and over again, was Dr. Amen's phase 'the goal is not to be off medication, the goal is to be funcitonal'. And he said that over and over in the book. I appreciate him driving that home. I have a little bit of an aversion to pharmacy (she is a chiropractor). But I love my child. And I want everybody, including my child, to have whatever is available to make them functional. And if pharmacy is what it takes, then you thank God for it."

William responded well to a low dose, time release Adderal. Dr. Poole, "We tried straterra. And he had all the side effects with it that you might have with it. We were off of it in two weeks. shortness of breathe, heart pounding, nausea, the whole thing. So we didn't last long on that."

"William had two acupuncture treatments. He didn't try Chinese herbs. he just wasn't ready for that process, and it is a process."

Many of us have to try many different things that work for our health, including ADD. That is why I formed this blog. Find what works best for you. Keep looking, keep trying. Do not give up!

Dr. Amen doesn't cover acupuncture, Chinese herbs or Elisa food allergy tests...something I will cover later. What he does cover are so many other ways to be functional with ADD/ADHD, from pharmaceuticals to supplements, to herbs, to diet, to exercise, to meditation and biofeedback, to brain scans! If you, or someone you love, has ADD or ADHD, you will find this book invaluable. We did! http://www.brainplace.com/

No comments: