Monday, July 21, 2008

Depression: Cured by Zone Diet







This story is told by a busy woman in her early thirties.

The Zone diet, by Dr. Barry Sears, cured my depression. http://www.drsears.com/ I think I was mildly depressed for all of my life. Not that I thought much of it. I was just sad a lot, and thought everyone was this way. Then I tried the Zone diet to lose a little bit of weight. I needed to fit into a dress for a big occasion. I am such a woman, dieting for a occasion and a dress.

Within a few weeks of being totally on the zone diet, I realized my depression had disappeared! It simply went away! It was then I realized I didn't have to be sad a lot and that everyone wasn't just like me. I realized there was a better way of life. And somehow I made the obvious connection to the zone diet, and have been eating Zone ever since.

The reason the Zone diet works is that it maintains a consistent sugar level in your body. By eating fats, complex carbohydrates and protein in regular intervals, you can stabilize your blood sugar. And stabilized blood sugar allows your entire body to function better, including your brain.

To measure out Zone meals, you can use your hand. I do. The palm of your hand represents the protein you should have at one meal. Your fist represents the complex carbohydrates you should have. And the tip of your thumb is the amount of fat. And you should eat about every three hours.
I am always on the go. I travel a lot, eat out at fancy restaurants several times a week, and I work 60-80 hours a week. As well, I am a vegetarian. Yet, I always find a way to incorporate the Zone diet into my life. I keep zone bars with me at all times, and occasionally cheese sticks. These tide me over when waiting for planes, etc. At restaurants I order off menu, appetizers or salads. Think about it like this: you can still meet friends for drinks, have a piece of cheese with your glass of wine and you are still in the Zone!
And of course, there are perks to the Zone diet. Besides no longer having that mild depression drain my life, my energy level is always consistent, and I never have to diet. NEVER! All my girlfriends are always dieting, and me, I never am. I am simply eating right, all the time.
I highly recommend the Zone diet for everyone. If you are like me and you try it for just a couple of months, you will never want to go back to your old way of eating, ever!

No comments: